Baba Ganoush is the perfect side dish to go with Pita. It is made of mashed egg plant.
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves salt
- Fresh mint chopped
- Olive oil
- Tahini (optional)
- Cut the eggplants in half.
- Sprinkle some salt on them, and let them rest for a while (this will help get rid of the bitter taste they have.
- If any dark liquid appears in the surface, rinse it, that’s what tasted bitter).
- Put them in the oven (with peel and all) until they are well cooked (depending on the eggplant size, from 20 to 30 minutes).
- Let them cool, peel them off, put the eggplant in the blender, adding salt, garlic, and mint (that can be replaced by any other herb if desired).
- Add only a little bit of olive oil.
- If desired, add tahini, too.
- Blend it, and accompany with pita bread.
How to prepare tahini paste?
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 2 lg. lemons
- 1/2 c. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
Crush the garlic and salt together.
Mix with a little lemon juice and blend with the tahini.
Add the cumin and remaining lemon juice to form a smooth paste, like peanut butter.
Use more garlic if you want the tahini to taste stronger.
If it is too thick, reduce it with water.Use the blender for best results.