- 2 medium potatoes, shredded
- 1/2 finely chopped medium size onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse shredded potatoes in water until water is clear, then drain and squeeze to dry.
- Place shreds in a bowl, and mix in the onion, flour and egg until evenly distributed.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat.
- When oil is sizzling hot, place potatoes into the pan in a 1/2 inch thick layer.
- Cover the whole bottom of the pan, or make separate piles like pancakes.
- Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side.
- It should take at least 5 minutes per side.
- If you are cooking them in one big piece, it can be cut into quarters for easier flipping.
- Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.