Basic ingredient of buttermilk is curd. Curd is a form of yogurt.
To make curd at home, boil milk and let it cool. Mix half teaspoon of lemon juice to the milk and stir well. Place it in a warm place for overnight or for 5 hours.
- 1 cup thick curds
- 5 cups water
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 green chillies
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Sea salt/ Rock salt to taste
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- Beat the curds into a smooth paste. Add water it to make thin and this is called buttermilk.
- Pound the ginger, chillies and coriander leaves with some salt. Add this to the buttermilk.
- Lightly fry the the mustard seeds and curry leaves in the oil and pour it into the buttermilk.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Serve after chilling for 30 minutes